Saturday, March 28, 2009

Shout Out to my Spruce Creek Friends

Every week on Saturday morning I wake up thinking about a wonderful group of people I have been fortunate enough to get to meet and become friends with. You see, every Saturday morning, this group gets together and flies out to breakfast. And I don't mean flies as in a "big old jet airliner" like the Steve Miller Band sang about years ago, I mean flies out Blue Angels style as in the picture below. These folks are some of the neatest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They are kind and generous beyond belief! Your plane is being worked on.....no problem, ride with me (typical for these pilots). So this Saturday morning I thought I would feature these amazing pilots on my blog. This picture was taken on one of those typical Saturday morning fly outs for breakfast. This is the Whiskey flight and on this particular morning my son, Chris, was invited to fly out to breakfast with this group! He is in the Harmon Rocket, the plane furthest to the right in the photo. What an amazing experience for anyone, let alone a 14 year old boy! .



You see, my son Chris has loved airplanes since he was old enough to get in one at the age of 9 months when he flew to Germany with us to visit my parents who were living there at the time. Since then. he has talked constantly about becoming a pilot. He has been so fortunate to get to fly with his Opa (my dad) and several other pilots (Medford, Jerry, Frank, Keith, and Tony). Each one took their time not only to take Chris in their plane but also took the time to explain their particular airplane to him. And, to top it off, our friend Medford has spent several hours in the simulator with Chris (and John and me) teaching him about flying. We are so very blessed to call these people friends! Below is a picture of Medford (center) giving my brother-in-law, Mike, a lesson on the simulator while my son looks on.


And, my son is not the only one who has been fortunate enough to experience flights and lessons with these wonderful folks! My husband and I have also ridden along with several of these folks as well (Keith, Tony, Dad, Jerry, Steve). In fact, it was Keith who is really responsible for getting me into this whole aviation thing. I flew with Keith in a Great Lakes in June of 2006 and that is when I made up my mind I had to do this too! That was one amazing ride! I had another really wonderful experience when I had my first formation flight lesson over Christmas break this year. Larry was so patient with me as I took my first lesson. He was an excellent teacher and I so appreciated his patience with me! Below is a picture of Larry and me in my plane during my first formation flight lesson taken from the lead plane (my dad). I was flying just off my father's wing.......what a dream! Too bad you can't see his plane in the photo.


So for all you Spruce Creek folks out there, please know that at least one family (and many more I'm sure) think you are amazing people and appreciate all you do for us and for our family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment